BioPhotonics and Nanomedicine Lab (BPNLab) at the Institute of Applied Physics of CNR (IFAC-CNR) in Florence, carries out applied research on laser technology, plasmonic nanoparticles for theranostics, multiphoton and photoacoustic microscopy, plasmon-enhanced spectroscopies and sensing, biosensing.
In particular, the research activies are focused on:
- preclinical and clinical studies on the use of laser and other optoelectronics devices for minimally invasive surgery (e.g. in ophthalmology, microvascular surgery and dermatology), photocoagulation, biomedical imaging, laser-assisted repair of biological tissues
- development and applications of plasmonic nanoparticles for theranostics, light-sensitive implantable devices for "on demand“ drug release
- microscopy analysis (e.g. fluorescence, Raman, - multiphoton and photoacoustic) on molecules of biological and medical interest
- plasmon-enhanced spectroscopies and sensing (SERS, TERS)
- agri-food photonics and biosensing
BPNLab has several partnership with companies and academia and it actively participates in European projects on biophotonics and optoelectronics.